Toontrack / "State Of the Art" SDX

Instruments, effects, DAWs -- any hardware or software we use to make music. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

Toontrack / "State Of the Art" SDX

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Toontrack have collaborated with Elliot Scheiner and the result is State Of The Art a new 84gig expansion pack for SD3, recorded at the Clubhouse Studios in Rhinebeck, NY.

Loads of good info about Elliot Scheiner (Steely Dan, Van Morrison, Rickie Lee Jones, Fleetwood Mac, Foo Fighters, Billy Joel, Madeleine Peyroux and countless others ....), the studio, the drumkits and the recordings on the product page. And some great-sounding demo's too.

What pleases me particularly is that someone FINALLY sampled a Sonor Teardrop kit.

__

wst3

Re: Toontrack / "State Of the Art" SDX

Post by wst3 »

I must confess, I am really impressed with the "artist" SDX editions. They are somewhat limited by the fact that they sound exactly like you'd expect them to sound. Not a criticism by any stretch, but it makes it a little tougher to rationalize the purchases.

I have Decades, Al Schmitt is one of those engineers I absolutely admire. I use it a lot, sometimes in conjunction with other libraries, but mostly on its own.

My next SDX was going to be Eddie Kramer's Legacy of Rock, but now I may have to rethink that. Elliot Scheiner is no slouch, and I like the sound of some of the Steely Dan, Fleetwood Mac, and Rickie Lee Jones, so It'll get quite a bit of use.

And I don't mean to slight Hugh Padgham, he invented the sound for the majority of a decade! Thing is, that's not my favorite sound. I'll buy it, if for no other reason than to have that sound, even if I only dink around with it.

They've already created a library around George Massenburg, another of my favorite engineers.

The thing is, if I were still working in a studio with live players I would not go that bananas about the drum kit.. The sound of the kit would be critical, but I was never one for swapping out snare drums unless I wanted something very unique. For example, I tried to force fit a marching snare into a handful of tracks and it just wasn't what I had imagined.

This being 2024 I'd be nuts not to take advantage of these libraries!