PanBox plug-in

Instruments, effects, DAWs -- any hardware or software we use to make music. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Mike Marino

PanBox plug-in

Post by Mike Marino »

Are any of you using PanBox? I bought this a couple of months ago and it’s been my go-to for panning for just about everything, mainly just using the Smart Pan feature. For orchestral use, it seems to have given me move convincing results over stereo panning + sample delay, different than other plug-ins like Panagement 2, etc.

https://jdfactory.store/pages/panbox

They do have a try-before-you-buy option if you haven’t messed with it yet.

Any thoughts on this?

— — — —

From the website:
"Panbox is your must-have audio plugin for achieving natural and realistic panning in your music productions!

With a wide range of advanced algorithms, you can easily fine-tune your stereo field to achieve just the right feel for any source. Moreover, with the ability to combine multiple panners, you can precisely adjust the directionality and width of each sound.

Tonal Pan and Smart Pan improve upon traditional panning methods by including other physical factors in the equation.

Our algorithms, apart from Haas Pan, are all phase friendly and mono compatible. After lots of trial and error, we found a tasteful way to create the most natural sounding panning for the vast majority of sources. Our processes are also CPU friendly so you can load as many instances as necessary.

You can finally make the player move to another spot in the room without panning the room itself! Upgrade your panning game with Panbox today!

Our very intuitive Input Matrix allows you to solo or extract any information out of the stereo signal. Want just the left channel but mono'd in the center? Easily done. During this phase you can prepare your signal for the panners that follow. Want to create a phase corrected ''mono side signal''? it's also possible. Our input matrix gives you endless possibilities.

The width knob controls the stereo spread at the beginning of the processing chain, enabling you to fine tune the width into panning. The Mono Freq knob sums the signal to mono below the selected frequency, providing additional control over the stereo image.

Tonal Pan offers a more natural pan. Unlike traditional panning methods that simply adjust the levels of the left and right channels, tonal pan uses filters that pan high frequencies before low frequencies. This results in a more lifelike and organic sound.

Smart Pan borrows some of the logic from Tonal Pan but goes further by introducing MS (mid/side) to the equation, resulting in an even more realistic stereo field in most situations.

Haas Pan: Achieve the Haas effect with a simple knob! Delay one side of the stereo signal by a set amount of milliseconds. When the Fine mode is activated, the available range narrows from 0-30ms to 0-1ms, allowing for micro delay adjustments.

Balance: A classic yet effective balance panner that adjusts the levels of each channel based on the panning direction. In Stereo Pan mode, the content of the opposing channel gradually blends into the channel you are panning towards, allowing for panning without any loss of information."

ZeeCount

Re: PanBox plug-in

Post by ZeeCount »

Yup I have it, and I love it. It's great for panning stereo signals and keeping a sense of the stereo width. Works well on samples if you need to shift the position of a decca tree for example.
Soundcloud __________ Youtube

Luciano Storti

Post by Luciano Storti »

Same here. Use it when it's the only plug that can do what I need. If it's about simply collapsing the stereo image a bit or panning a dry instrument, I'll use the built-in panner because of workflow and mindfulness of resources. I'm more partial to PanBox's Tonal Pan feature, with a little Smart Pan added in after. It's great to have all the panning options and the matrix available in one tool.
Pale Blue Dot.
Luke

Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Goodhertz also has an advanced panning tool, PanPot, which is what I’m using. It offers four different panning techniques — by level, delay, frequency range (spectral) or phase — which can can be used separately or in combination. Very powerful. (On top of those four parameters, there’s a bunch of other useful stuff included as well.) I’m not familiar with PanBox, but its Tonal Pan seems to be based on a similar idea as PanPot’s Spectral Pan.

__

Markus K

Post by Markus K »

Panbox became my goto too. It's very simple and everything you need is outlined in an easy understandable way for someone like me who isn't an expert on this kind of things. I also like the super simple gui. The Goodhertz looks good too but seems to demand more knowledge of what it is exactly to be done and how you call it. Can and maybe should be learned of course but Panbox just does the job. Great plugin without the usual analog-mojo-secret of the pros hype.

Topic author
Mike Marino

Post by Mike Marino »

Oh, hadn’t heard of that one, Piet. Looks very interesting, along with a smaller price tag. Thanks for sharing!

wst3

Post by wst3 »

tough call! I really like that Pan Box directly addresses the Haas effect, pretty sure you can do the same with Panpot. Time to do some digging and demoing! Thanks Mike and Piet for helping me spend my "discretionary" cash!

Topic author
Mike Marino

Post by Mike Marino »

wst3 wrote: Jul 13, 2024 12:33 pm Thanks Mike and Piet for helping me spend my "discretionary" cash!
:)