Joel Blanco Berg Instruments

Instruments, effects, DAWs -- any hardware or software we use to make music. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
srkrishnan

Joel Blanco Berg Instruments

Post by srkrishnan »

Came across a set of presets/instruments for Phaseplant by Joel Blanco Berg made using wavetable and noise synthesis. Posting a few videos here. Many more on his youtube channel. Thoughts? The instruments are available for purchase on Gumroad - https://lydoel.gumroad.com/

Thomas Mavian

Re: Joel Blanco Berg Instruments

Post by Thomas Mavian »

Wow, quite good I must say :)

Luciano Storti

Re: Joel Blanco Berg Instruments

Post by Luciano Storti »

While I knew about these, I haven't actually had them under my fingertips; no Phaseplant here. But I'm amazed by how close they are.

The Flute doesn't really work for me with its near-Clarinet timbre, while the other Winds get closer. Brass are the highlight, in particular I think the Horns sounds quite good. The Sax is off the mark for me, but again, impressed with the programming. I couldn't get that close, I'm sure.

With these type of instruments it breaks down in the shorts for me. Something about the combination of how the embouchure/tonguing works and the room responds to the shorter notes is often missing. Samples capture that much more closely for my taste. But on long notes and expressivity it's no contest.
Pale Blue Dot.
Luke