Soniccouture / Sun Drums

Instruments, effects, DAWs -- any hardware or software we use to make music. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

Soniccouture / Sun Drums

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Soniccouture has released Sun Drums, what they call "a sister instrument" to the 'Moonkits' library which was a brush-oriented affair. 'Sun Drums' however is strictly sticks. Recorded in the same studio and through the same equipment as 'Moonkits', 'Sun Drums' "features a huge collection of vintage & modern drums, and was built with a modern, dry sound in mind, from classic breakbeats to booming hip-hop or just fat pop drums."

Even if you have no interest whatsoever in this library, I would still urge you to watch the Kit Playthrough video (first of the two videos posted below) if only to enjoy the phenomenal artistry of André Louis, musician and finger-drummer extraordinaire.

Owners of Moonkits can buy 'Sun Drums' at a reduced price (€99). Everybody else can enjoy the introduction price (€120). And some time from now, we know not when, the price will revert to the regular amount of €179.
Sun Drums doesn't require the full version of Kontakt.

__

Lawrence

Re: Soniccouture / Sun Drums

Post by Lawrence »

Great finger drummer.Exceptional.

The best I ever heard was Jordan Rudess at 19 or 20, demonstrating for Korg at the NAMM show, playing the drum kit from the M1 with a group of fusion musicians. Bloody genius. This guy is right up there. I like the sound of the drums as well.

Duncan Krummel

Post by Duncan Krummel »

Piet, did you end up with a copy of Sun Drums? If so - or anyone for that matter - how does this compare in utility to HandHeldSound’s RocknFunk kit? The difference in velocity layers is striking, and I’m hearing a very tight, punchy quality in Sun Drums that I haven’t quite eked out of HHS’ offering. Still, I know HHS is held in high regard, and indeed their drums have something special in them.

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Yes, I did, Duncan. End up with a copy of Sun Drums, that is. It's a good library and sounding different enough from the others to justify a purchase. At least, that's what I thought. And still think. And you're correct: it's that very tight, punchy, snappy sound that does it. The hi-hats are not my favourites among sampled hi-hats (a bit too thin-sounding for my taste), but that's about the only thing that doesn't get high marks from me. Everything else is a pleasure to work with. The mic perspectives are very well chosen too and incredibly useful to shape the sound with. Editing options are great as well.

I never completely clicked with the sister library Moon Drums I must confess, finding the brush sound overall a bit too sandpapery and harsh, but these Sun Drums are really good.

That being said, Handheld (and many kits in BFD3 as well) have, out of their respective boxes, more my kind of drumsound than what the Sun Drums generate, but that's a strictly personal thing of course. One could also, and at least as justifiably, say that the Sun Drums, having a more produced sound, are easier and quicker to get great results with than HH or BFD.

_

Duncan Krummel

Post by Duncan Krummel »

Thank you, Piet! A very helpful and thorough breakdown. I’ll most likely have to pick this up before the intro price ends, then, as that punch is just too lovely, would perfectly fit a current project, and I lack the drum mixing chops as of yet to get close on my own (though I’m getting ever closer, in no small part from your helpful advice regarding transient shapers).