Incoming / Straight Ahead "La Clarinette En Rose"

Instruments, effects, DAWs -- any hardware or software we use to make music. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

Incoming / Straight Ahead "La Clarinette En Rose"

Post by Piet De Ridder »

From Straight Ahead:
"We're pleased to announce our next release La Clarinette En Rose. Featuring our Smart Delay and the same sampling process our previous New Standard Horn Trio instruments (Birth of the Trumpet, Tenor Colossus, Eminent Trombone). This one has been really fun to make and we're close to the finish line on it and really excited about it. We're trying something different with our discounts this time by doing a pre-order. So, customers can pre-order now for only $99.99. Regular price will be $129.99 on release day (March 30th, 2022)."

_

Duncan Krummel

Re: Incoming / Straight Ahead "La Clarinette En Rose"

Post by Duncan Krummel »

I really, really want to love each of these instruments, but they hit right square in the uncanny valley for me. They are no doubt some of the leading sample-based libraries for these styles of writing, but - as we reach ever closer to realism - I can't shake the feeling of 'almost.'

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Same here, Duncan. I’ll probably buy it for the price because I think its “almost” is better than my present instrument’s “almost.” (SWAM is the one I’m using.)

RobS

Post by RobS »

I can't stand the phrases ending with a downward gliss, it's so amateurish... none of the jazz clarinetists I know would play like that, why do they do it

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Is that a default, Rob? Meaning that when you release a longer note it does it automatically and you can’t get rid of it?

Also, what do you think of the tone and what are you using presently for jazz/blues clarinet?

RobS

Post by RobS »

Lawrence wrote: Mar 20, 2022 2:23 pm Is that a default, Rob? Meaning that when you release a longer note it does it automatically and you can’t get rid of it?

Also, what do you think of the tone and what are you using presently for jazz/blues clarinet?
don't have this clarinet Larry, I was just referring to the demos... they keep doing that, but it gives away that the person behind the demo isn't aware of the way clarinet is played in jazz. It becomes a caricature of sorts...
As for the tone, I feel the same way, and don't like the legato, which is supposed to be the strong point of the instrument. I can hear the juxtaposition of individual fragments, but not the phrase itself. Moreover, it seems there is such an amount of scripting involved that playing in realtime must be a nightmare, so not for me.
I never have to do jazz/blues mockups, so don't know, but I suspect I'd still be using swam. For orchestral, it's either vsl se or eastwest woods (pre-opus)

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

RobS wrote: Mar 20, 2022 4:24 pm
Lawrence wrote: Mar 20, 2022 2:23 pm Is that a default, Rob? Meaning that when you release a longer note it does it automatically and you can’t get rid of it?

don't have this clarinet Larry, I was just referring to the demos... they keep doing that, but it gives away that the person behind the demo isn't aware of the way clarinet is played in jazz. It becomes a caricature of sorts...
It's more of a Klezmer thing.
Charlie Clouser: " I have no interest in, and no need to create, "realistic orchestral mockups". That way lies madness."

www.jayasher.com

RobS

Post by RobS »

Ashermusic wrote: Mar 20, 2022 7:00 pm
RobS wrote: Mar 20, 2022 4:24 pm

It's more of a Klezmer thing.
They should advertise it as a Klezmer clarinet then :)