Celemony Melodyne 4

Instruments, effects, DAWs -- any hardware or software we use to make music. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Celemony Melodyne 4

Post by Guy Rowland »

http://www.celemony.com/en/start

Sorta looks clever some new ideas, but to be honest I found the video a pretty miserable experience, with relentless voiceover not giving a proper chance to hear what its actually up to. If anyone has any better links for examples, will be interested to see / hear.

Raymond_Kemp

Re: Celemony Melodyne 4 released

Post by Raymond_Kemp »

The question for me is: what does it do my existing version doesn't do and how much to upgrade? I've not as yet had an email from them.

Oops! I hadn't loaded it for a while and therefore got the upgrade message :blush:

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Raymond_Kemp wrote:The question for me is: what does it do my existing version doesn't do and how much to upgrade? I've not as yet had an email from them.
The new features are in the OP link - the main new features seems to be editing overtones. Don't know about upgrade pricing.

Raymond_Kemp

Post by Raymond_Kemp »

Alright, tempo intelligence, better note detection,time stretch entire mixes etc hmmm!

They've got me.............it's less than £100 for the Editor upgrade

playz123

Post by playz123 »

Weird timing. Was just thinking about a new Melodyne yesterday, even though I haven't used it for a long time....and today I see this announcement. Maybe I'm psychic? :) No comment!
Frank E. Lancaster

Raymond_Kemp

Post by Raymond_Kemp »

Okay, 'done the deed, upgraded and mounted a stereo mixed song that I've done nothing with because of more than one vocal line being out of tune and I didn't have access to the stems. Fixed them in a jiffy without any noticeable artefacts. Impressed!

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

That's very impressive! Fancy posting a quick before and after, Ray?

Raymond_Kemp

Post by Raymond_Kemp »

Okay, I tested it on the stand alone app. maybe I should try a camtasia presentation if I can get the audio to work with the video realtime.

Raymond_Kemp

Post by Raymond_Kemp »

Guy, you will not enjoy what I've done here,

A Little Peckish

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Raymond_Kemp wrote:Guy, you will not enjoy what I've done here,

A Little Peckish
Huh! So that's putting it into Melodyne, picking a note and mucking about with it?

The idea of tuning a vocal on a full track is pretty amazing. I nominate T'Pau's China In Your Hand - I've always wondered what that would have sounded like had she sung it in tune.

Raymond_Kemp

Post by Raymond_Kemp »

Good idea Guy
yes I'll have a go tomorrow

Mystic

Post by Mystic »

There seems to be a lot of complaints about the quality over on Gearslutz. :\
Makes me pause a bit at upgrading.

Raymond_Kemp

Post by Raymond_Kemp »

okay me old china, not a great recording but cop this:

original single version excerpt
-
fixed? after a fashion.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Wow! Pretty amazing - it's those last notes in particular isn't it? How difficult was it to isolate the vocal?

The verses in Catatonia's Road Rage and the end of Madonna's Like A Prayer are other howlers if you're very bored....

Raymond_Kemp

Post by Raymond_Kemp »

Twas easy to isolate the vocal line in this example. Their were two blobs an octave apart that needed moving by around 20 cents. The whole track isn't in concert pitch, not on this singles version recording but that doesn't matter in Melodyne. Everything is relative. I wish I could get my pc to produce a audio/video demo. I can't figure out how to get it done or rather, I'm not willing to spend the time in making it work. Maybe that would be a good subject for a discussion on the board.

Raymond_Kemp

Post by Raymond_Kemp »

okay here is a bit of Welsh

Road Rage excerpt melodyned

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Wonderous!

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

Ray, how effective do you think this would be at reducing everything but the vocal on a mix?
Charlie Clouser: " I have no interest in, and no need to create, "realistic orchestral mockups". That way lies madness."

www.jayasher.com

Raymond_Kemp

Post by Raymond_Kemp »

It must be remembered and taken into account when listening. My original file isn't........ because it has been downloaded from a certain music streaming site therefore I'm not starting with even CD quality. The demonstration is highlighting the 'last resort' possibilities of this application and not that of being suitable for commercial use. I am a novice using Melodyne. Even though I've had it's various incarnations for years I seldom use it and certainly not for processing the stereo bus. Usually, tweaking vocal tracks only ahead of mixing.
Here is something I did a few years ago where the vocal parts came from all over the world mainly individually recorded on some really basic mics and laptop soundcards etc. There is a bit of ringing here and there never mind all sorts of other artifacts but I could only bring it together at all by processing every track in Melodyne.

June - 2013

Raymond_Kemp

Post by Raymond_Kemp »

Ashermusic wrote:Ray, how effective do you think this would be at reducing everything but the vocal on a mix?
That would be quite difficult depending of course on the complexity of the arrangement. There are some parts where it is hard to separate the voice from the backing when it creates the polyphonic file. In these demos I've allowed the app to automatically choose which algorithm to use.
Delving deeper I'm sure it can be fairly surgical given proper instruction and experience.

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

BTW, there may or may not be some sonic problems with this however that are not as much so in Melodyne 3. Check out the Gearslutz thread.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-c ... tment.html

Since it overrides the previous version, even the trial AFAIK, I thought you should all be aware that that hthere is the possibility of an issue,

I am not saying you shouldn't get it nor do I vouch for the accuracy of the report. After reading the thread and hearing the clip though I thought I would make people aware that maybe they should not just reach for their wallet.

Ray didn't like it when I did this on VI Control but I think it is the right thing to do.
Charlie Clouser: " I have no interest in, and no need to create, "realistic orchestral mockups". That way lies madness."

www.jayasher.com

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

I just posted there actually Jay (first time in a while...) as I read on yet another forum (the DUC) that the supposed quality problems only exist in auto mode when working on vocals. If you switch to Melodic, apparently it's very good. Apparently. I'm not demoing it yet, but I might do so later if I feel a need for it - it's clearly very clever, but VariAudio does me very well for my day-to-day needs, and obviously it's a lot less faff to use in Cubase. Anyway, would be interesting to hear from those who have it if it is the case.

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

Guy Rowland wrote:I just posted there actually Jay (first time in a while...) as I read on yet another forum (the DUC) that the supposed quality problems only exist in auto mode when working on vocals. If you switch to Melodic, apparently it's very good. Apparently. I'm not demoing it yet, but I might do so later if I feel a need for it - it's clearly very clever, but VariAudio does me very well for my day-to-day needs, and obviously it's a lot less faff to use in Cubase. Anyway, would be interesting to hear from those who have it if it is the case.
I will see them at NAMM and check out what they have to say. I really like the Celemony guys and I think Melodyne is brilliant.

www.jayasher.com

Raymond_Kemp

Post by Raymond_Kemp »

Ashermusic wrote:
Guy Rowland wrote:I just posted there actually Jay (first time in a while...) as I read on yet another forum (the DUC) that the supposed quality problems only exist in auto mode when working on vocals. If you switch to Melodic, apparently it's very good. Apparently. I'm not demoing it yet, but I might do so later if I feel a need for it - it's clearly very clever, but VariAudio does me very well for my day-to-day needs, and obviously it's a lot less faff to use in Cubase. Anyway, would be interesting to hear from those who have it if it is the case.
I will see them at NAMM and check out what they have to say. I really like the Celemony guys and I think Melodyne is brilliant.
Now you're talking Jay. Forget about the picture postcard pics in the cold. I'd just as soon be there in a tee shirt.