8dio Adagio Violins Redux - $48

Instruments, effects, DAWs -- any hardware or software we use to make music. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Stakk

Re: 8dio Adagio Violins Redux - $48

Post by Stakk »

It's probably right that I won't be terribly bothered if Adagio suddenly vanishes from my disk, but there are still a few great concepts that (the original) Adagio series were built with - such as switching between sustains, marcato, crescendos and Loure (tempo-synched perf) during one legato arc. Definitely not for everyone, but it did something very interesting and workable.

Original Adagio users were more like a lab rat. I spent $400 a section for Adagio series when it came out, waited a year to get it fixed, asked to pay a top dollar for simplified edition Adagietto, offered to get the definitive edition called Anthology for $100 or so. Now I have an honor to be asked to tender $28 again for the re-re-rehash :-)

I agree with this line: "8dio on a good day — and they happen — is a developer that can produce very, very useful stuff. " this applies pretty well to their libraries since 2016.

Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Here's a bit of Sordinos, and a few moments with the Chamber patches.
(All roughly and quickly done, but it does show how these things sounds unprocessed.)

_

wst3

Post by wst3 »

maybe your playing? But I liked the Sordino shorts in your demo better.

I finally received my email today - for $8 I will receive the new Adagio violins, and the remaining three sections when they are released. Not to sound too jaded, but that may never happen, but I will take a leap of faith and give it a try. With that attitude I could probably save myself $8, but maybe the new arcs will solve my problems with the arcs in both Adagio and Anthology.

I do won Adagio, Adagietto, all the Agitatos, and I received Anthology gratis. More than the money, I have quite a bit of time invested in 8Dio strings. They can be brilliant, they can be maddeningly frustrating... you just never know<G>!

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Speaking only for myself (as I always do) that’s exactly what I don’t want, dialing up some strings to accomplish a task on the basis of “hey, you never know-maybe these will work here.” I’m gonna pass.

givemenoughrope

Post by givemenoughrope »

Thanks, Piet! (And some fantastic harmonies not often heard in sampleland...)
Love the chamber sound.
I'm going to throw down the $8.

EDIT- At 1:01 of the chamber example how are you getting that repeated note, the lowest note in the arpeggios? Or are my ears playing tricks?

wst3

Post by wst3 »

Lawrence wrote: May 20, 2019 2:14 pm Speaking only for myself (as I always do) that’s exactly what I don’t want, dialing up some strings to accomplish a task on the basis of “hey, you never know-maybe these will work here.” I’m gonna pass.
I'd agree - if I had a couple libraries (even I won't wish for just one) that covered the bases. I find the arcs in the original Adagio to be absolutely lovely, when they work. If this latest incarnation makes them easier to work with then it will be $8 well spent. I'd spend that much on a couple of coffees if I bought my coffee at Starbucks<G>!

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

I get ya’ Bill, for $8 I’d go for it too. For $48, little as that is, I can’t quite see it, which I admit is sort of remarkable.

Stakk

Post by Stakk »

The arc concept is quite lovely, though absolutely messy as it is within 8Dio's (100% inconsistent articulations list between sections - I guess that's why arcs are mostly scrapped in the recent updates). I have them with Time Machine speed assigned to pitch wheel.

I wish more developers would take a shot at the arc concept! Orchestraltools offer crescendo in many of their libraries, but not a sort of multi-bowing crescendo like arcs do.

Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

givemenoughrope wrote: May 20, 2019 4:28 pm At 1:01 of the chamber example how are you getting that repeated note, the lowest note in the arpeggios?
Very fast modwheel action, to simulate rebowing. Doesn't work everytime, but in this case, it somehow did.

_

givemenoughrope

Post by givemenoughrope »

Ah, nice one!