CD'S-COMPUTERS-HARDWARE-PERIODICALS TO DONATE

Instruments, effects, DAWs -- any hardware or software we use to make music. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
1gc

CD'S-COMPUTERS-HARDWARE-PERIODICALS TO DONATE

Post by 1gc »

Hi!
I'm in the process of putting together my trust.
I have a large audio cd collection, recorded properties from the 1960's on, and at this time numbering about 3,000 discs. About 50%= Jazz, probably 35% =Classical & Sound Tracks (North, Waxman, early Goldsmith, Zimmer pre Speilberg Willams etc) , a large multi Ethnic selection and some R&B-Pop as the remaining
The collection is boxed and catalouqed alphabetically and by genre in 11 sealed tote boxes of about 300 discs per box.
I also have collections of Down Beat magazines going back to the 1960's, monthly editions of Sound on Sound, Computer Music, Music Tech etc going back to 2006.
And I have here 5 ADK or Advanced Fundamental computers customized for digital audio , my most recent being built by Chrie Ludwig , all with swept hard drives. These date back to my initial 4 GB Windows XP and evolved on up to 64 GB"s. The current system I'm working with now incorporates 128 GB spread across 4 ssd drives.
There is also a collection of midi controllers and the peripheral hardwares for running a Digital audio system.
I need now to incorporate the dispersment of these collections into my trust

Well, I had thought that finding a way to donate or pass these resources on wouldn't have been as difficult as its turning out to be.
But so far I've approached the local colleges, the public library system, etc.about all or parts of the above and even though these are all boxed and ready to go in an area size wise that a pickup truck could carry, I'm told usually either that the collection is to large for their spaces, or hard passes at University jazz programs with the cds because " everybody is streaming now"-et al

I need to incorporate into this trust an assigned dispersment for these collections.
While I can't believe that there's not some underfunded public or university library or reference organization or a college music program that couldn't take advantage of this 65 years of recorded musics, particularly the Jazz and Soundtracks, but I'm striking out here.
I have not reached out as far as USC-UCLA just because of the distance.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
I live in Northern California, USA, just below the Oregon border. The collections-computars et al would have to be collected from up here, but, again, a medium sized truck could load the totality of all of this as its stored now and haul it all away.
So again, any ideas for where I could reach out to donate these collections where they would provide some service?
Thanks in advance!
g.c.

Hannes_F

Re: CD'S-COMPUTERS-HARDWARE-PERIODICALS TO DONATE

Post by Hannes_F »

Noble gesture and great plan. Feeding back into the cycle. Wish you all the best!
Traveller in boundlessness, at home in the Now
http://www.strings-on-demand.com

wst3

Post by wst3 »

It is a good thing that you do - or attempt to do.

My parents had an extensive record collection that I too wanted to donate, it kills me, but they ended up in the dumpster, seems no one wants vinyl, or even CDs these days. Or they didn't 3 years ago.

Are there any community music schools in your area? I had some luck donating equipment I was no longer using to a local community music school. Didn't think of them when I was ditching records an CDs - shame on me.

I'll give this some more thought, as I will be (am??) in the same position.

Good luck

Topic author
1gc

Post by 1gc »

Thanks guys.
I've tried the local programs.
Reaching out to archiving college sites ( Downbeats for example) are all to far from here to transport. Plus, I want to keep this stuff while I'm still here. I just don't want my wife to have to deal with this after I leave , her weight will already be catastrophic (is that a word?)
wst3 , I dumped my vinyl years ago also but now Downbeat lists ads from sellers looking ffor vinyl to purchase.
And I keep wondering if in 15 years cds will be returning as tomorrows vinyl craze, like the comic books, and baseball cards, and all that stuff I've unloaded in my past that I could have taken early retirement off of.
g.c.

wst3

Post by wst3 »

1gc wrote: Aug 02, 2024 4:51 pm wst3 , I dumped my vinyl years ago also but now Downbeat lists ads from sellers looking ffor vinyl to purchase.
And I keep wondering if in 15 years cds will be returning as tomorrows vinyl craze, like the comic books, and baseball cards, and all that stuff I've unloaded in my past that I could have taken early retirement off of.
g.c.
Don't mention that - I've made a career of selling or dumping stuff before it becomes valuable. UGH!