Unique plugins

Instruments, effects, DAWs -- any hardware or software we use to make music. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Unique plugins

Post by Guy Rowland »

What plugins do you have that are genuinely unique? No, not a flavour of reverb or eq that carves a little niche or does something particularly well, but actually "no, nothing else can do that" legitimately unique. And, preferably, useful.

I'd like to kick off with Waves Torque. It's amazing on drums - you can retune them but keep their sonic character. Unique.

Luciano Storti

Re: Unique plugins

Post by Luciano Storti »

Cool idea for a thread, Guy. Have not tried Torque. Actually, I barely knew of its existence before, so I'll be checking that out, thanks.

I'll nominate STL Tones' ControlHub. It's a mixed bag when it comes to a channel strip, and the marketplace is a dubious affair, but what makes it worthwhile for me is its ability to "trace" your outboard gear. It's expedient and satisfying to have the profile of an outboard compressor or EQ (or both simultaneously) available on many more channels, as needed.

Same with Waves' Q-Clone. Let's me profile those lovely outboard EQ curves for a rather pleasing high end wherever needed.
Pale Blue Dot.
Luke

Blake Ewing

Post by Blake Ewing »

112dB Mikron Cascade
Ben Osterhouse libraries
Composer. Audionaut.
http://www.blakeewingmusic.com

Geoff Grace

Post by Geoff Grace »

After all of these years, VocAlign is still pretty unique.

True, you can accomplish time alignment in many different ways; but nothing has such a quick and easy process as VocAlign.

(I realize Revoice Pro also uses VocAlign's time alignment features; but as they're from the same company and probably have a similar codebase, I'm still considering VocAlign as a singular product.)

Best,

Geoff

Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Well, despite its age, SPAT remains breathtakingly unique. Haven’t come across anything yet that gets close to it, never mind equals it.
Although I must add: I’ve had little or no success with SPAT Revolution so far. I’m sure it works well with some DAWS, but making friends with LogicPro doesn’t seem what it was trained to do. Unlike most other DAWs, LogicPro also isn’t mentioned in the chapter of Flux’s online SPAT Revolution Guide on third-party integration. There is a brief mention in some appendix or other, I recall, but that reads more like an afterthought.
So I keep using the old SPAT v3 (hosted in NuGen’s SigMod). Works great.

_

Luciano Storti

Post by Luciano Storti »

Piet De Ridder wrote: Jul 09, 2024 10:59 am Well, despite its age, SPAT remains breathtakingly unique. Haven’t come across anything yet that gets close to it, never mind equals it.
Although I must add: I’ve had little or no success with SPAT Revolution so far. I’m sure it works well with some DAWS, but making friends with LogicPro doesn’t seem what it was trained to do. Unlike most other DAWs, LogicPro also isn’t mentioned in the chapter of Flux’s online SPAT Revolution Guide on third-party integration. There is a brief mention in some appendix or other, I recall, but that reads more like an afterthought.

_
What kind of issues are you having, Piet? I've run into a block with Logic/SpatRev as well, a sync issue to be precise. Was on with support for a long time and we just could not figure it out. I put it down to being on an older system, but am a little disheartened to learn that it's still an issue on your MacStudio. I was looking forward to dusting it up and using it again in the future.

Have also had little luck getting v3 to run reliably. SigMod causes spinning beachballs and Bidule is steady, but only with the VST version. It's all a bit too much for an easy workflow.

Apologies for derailing the thread a bit.
Pale Blue Dot.
Luke

Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Sync issues as well, Luke. The communication between Logic and SPAT works well as long as I restrict myself to just one source, but as soon as I add a second source, I get that rattling fax-machine sound and constant sync errors in SPAT.

A few days ago, I updated my OS to Sonoma — I only did that, reluctantly, because I bought software that requires OS 14.5 — so I thought: well, I might give SPAT Revolution another try (it had been months since my previous attempt at getting it to work), you know, maybe the new OS and the most recent version of Logic might have improved matters, but it turned out that it's very much the same thing as before.

(Loads of little annoyances with Sonoma and recent Logic versions, by the way. But that's stuff for another thread.)

Odd that you experience problems with SPAT v3 in SigMod. That combination worked for me from the start and has been remarkably solid ever since. I can't recall a single crash or problem *ever*. The only thing I miss is that I can no longer automate SPAT's parameters, which is quite a powerful thing to exploit and which I used to do whenever I was still able to load the SPAT AudioUnit directly in Logic. But SigMod doesn't pass automation instructions on to SPAT. Pity.

__

Tanuj Tiku

Post by Tanuj Tiku »

Blake Ewing wrote: Jul 08, 2024 5:30 pm 112dB Mikron Cascade
Ben Osterhouse libraries
Osterhouse sounds has some really nice stuff. Thanks for sharing! I like the idea of Mikron cascade too, will look into it further.

Luciano Storti

Post by Luciano Storti »

Piet De Ridder wrote: Jul 09, 2024 12:23 pm Sync issues as well, Luke. The communication between Logic and SPAT works well as long as I restrict myself to just one source, but as soon as I add a second source, I get that rattling fax-machine sound and constant sync errors in SPAT...
Too bad, genuinely. I miss it. Thank you for just saving me the time, trouble and frustration of trying SPAT Revolution again.

Back on topic: Ben Osterhouse libs are a hit and miss for me. One that really works, if used to its strengths, is STRING FLOW. The Violin in particular.
Pale Blue Dot.
Luke

wst3

Post by wst3 »

wandering off topic - I really like 112dB - the company and the plugins. Their first product was an emulation of the Ensoniq Mirage. Not sure how they got my name but I became a beta tester for them. Great people. And Morgana does a really nice emulation of the Mirage. I still have mine (can't seem to sell it<G>) so I don't use Morgana much. I should check to see if it is up to date!

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

I’ve been thinking about this for days and finding myself unable to define any of my plugin as “unique.”

On the other hand, my two most often used plugins are Kontakt and Omnisphere, and I think maybe they are unique just because of how much ground each covers.

Linos

Post by Linos »

Are you all really just usinf one legato speed for Cinematic Studio Strings? I find it so easy and well worth it to use all three. I use Ihnoc's Kontakt script to automatically compensate for the delay.

1) load Ihnoc's script in your Kontakt instances with CSS

2) set the specified negative delay for your CSS tracks

3) set cc13 to 0

4) record

5) set cc13 to 127

Now all your legatos are perfectly in time. Not a single bote you need to move manually

The only potential issue is that you have the legato delay during recording. It's not an issue for me, I just play and don't pay attention to the transition. If it bothers you, simply switch to classic legato for recording, and after recording set it to advanced legato.

Once you have set up the script the only work you have to do is set cc13 to 127 after recording. Having three legato speeds makes a difference. For me, it's one of the featires that make CSS unique.

Markus K

Post by Markus K »

Piet De Ridder wrote: Jul 09, 2024 10:59 am Well, despite its age, SPAT remains breathtakingly unique. Haven’t come across anything yet that gets close to it, never mind equals it.

_
I did stop using SPAT on my new pc Win 10, AMD Ryzen because it sometimes simply stoped processing out of the blue and was responsible for some crashes. Your hint to SigMod gives me hope to be able to use it again. But on their website they say they stopped supporting vst2 32 bit plugins which SPAT v3 is afaik. So it must be a legacy installer probably. Which version do you use? Or does it work with the latest version? Thanks for help Piet

Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Markus,

I’m using a Mac, so I don’t know if the following info will be of any use: the version of SPATv3 I’m running — which means: loading it in NuGen’s SigMod, because the SPATv3 component file (the AU-plugin) is no longer compatible with LogicPro — is built 3.5.26.46205 and that is a 64-bit release. I'm pretty sure that's the latest and last version of SPATv3; after that came SPAT Revolution.

I’ve just checked again, and apparently, I have the VST-version (which is named: SpatV3-x64.vst) loaded in SigMod, not the AU-version.
(It’s been quite some time since I made that SigMod preset, but I’m beginning to remember now that there was something not quite right if I used the AU in SigMod instead of the VST. I never work with VST’s and there is only one VST in my VST-plugin folder — SPAT — so there must be a good reason for that being the case.)

__

scherzo

Post by scherzo »

I'm on Windows and have version 3.5.29.46205 installed, VST2 x64 and all. Last I checked - which wasn't that long ago - it was still installable from the Flux software hub, although I vaguely remember it being sort of hidden away.

Though I'm sad to say I've long since given up on using it because it's so buggy and unreliable, at least in Cubase on Windows. I don't remember it misbehaving in Reaper (and the multi-channel routing is handled much better there too). That's mostly why I still keep it around, just in case I do become a full-fledged Reaper convert at some point - alas, thus far such enlightenment continues to elude me.

I do have SigMod, but I've only ever used it as a kill-switch for loud noise bursts. I didn't realize it could host plugins. Might have to try that. 🙂

I think SPAT is the only thing in my plug-in collection that might rise to the standard of actual uniqueness. It's a pity it's basically abandonware at this point.

Luciano Storti

Post by Luciano Storti »

scherzo wrote: Jul 10, 2024 7:27 am I think SPAT is the only thing in my plug-in collection that might rise to the standard of actual uniqueness. It's a pity it's basically abandonware at this point.
You mean for the average composer or in general? I wasn't getting the sense of it being quite abandonware but I'm not one to keep up with Flux's dealings much.
Pale Blue Dot.
Luke

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

SPAT, if it worked properly and easily, would be my #1 lust-for plugin and does seem truly unique. Unfortunately, it seems fiddly and I’ve never been willing to pay the price for it.

I wonder if there’s a market in second hand license sales?

scherzo

Post by scherzo »

Luciano Storti wrote: Jul 10, 2024 2:35 pm You mean for the average composer or in general? I wasn't getting the sense of it being quite abandonware but I'm not one to keep up with Flux's dealings much.
I was referring only to the old SPAT v3, the simple plugin version we knew and loved, which has not been updated, sold or supported for a good long while now afaik - abandoned in favor of the new line, SPAT Revolution.

I must admit I never looked too closely at Revolution. Way out of my price range and seems pretty complicated to use, and I haven't heard many (if any) testimonies of music people using the thing successfully. Seems aimed at a different market. But as far as I know, that's the current version and is still actively developed.
Lawrence wrote: Jul 10, 2024 3:26 pm I wonder if there’s a market in second hand license sales?
I believe licenses occasionally pop up in the classifieds at places like VIC or KVR or whatnot. Not very often though.

I sometimes think about selling mine since I don't use it anyway, but I keep holding on to it anyway just in case, or maybe I'll want to upgrade to Revolution sometime in the future. (Also laziness. 😊)

Markus K

Post by Markus K »

Piet De Ridder wrote: Jul 10, 2024 6:29 am Markus,

I’m using a Mac, so I don’t know if the following info will be of any use: the version of SPATv3 I’m running — which means: loading it in NuGen’s SigMod, because the SPATv3 component file (the AU-plugin) is no longer compatible with LogicPro — is built 3.5.26.46205 and that is a 64-bit release. I'm pretty sure that's the latest and last version of SPATv3; after that came SPAT Revolution.

I’ve just checked again, and apparently, I have the VST-version (which is named: SpatV3-x64.vst) loaded in SigMod, not the AU-version.
(It’s been quite some time since I made that SigMod preset, but I’m beginning to remember now that there was something not quite right if I used the AU in SigMod instead of the VST. I never work with VST’s and there is only one VST in my VST-plugin folder — SPAT — so there must be a good reason for that being the case.)

__
Thank you Piet, sounds good. If I can use SPAT again reliable with SigMod it's more than worth the price. I will give it a try.
I downloaded the SPAT version not long ago so it should be the same as yours.

Thomas Mavian

Post by Thomas Mavian »

Well, here are a few that I can't replicate with other plugins so they have a place on my list at least :)

Oxford Inflator
Waves Brauer Motion
Waves Scheps Particles (yes you could do this with a bunch of plugins but the simplicity makes it unique)
UAD Precision-K Stereo

And yes, Torque is indeed one-of-a-kind!

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Thomas Mavian wrote: Jul 11, 2024 3:44 am Oxford Inflator
Waves Brauer Motion
I have these but haven't really found them all that useful. Inflator is another exciter really (and doesn't limit in any mode either, something I learned to my cost many moons ago). Brauer Motion is kinda unique I agree, but I've never really cared for the overly complex results and I usually end up using it in simple mode which could be done by anything.

One other unique one I thought of is Zynaptiq Unchirp. Very niche, and I don't have as much call to use it as used to, but for rescuing stuff with digital artefacts it's still the only game in town.

Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Inflator is not really an exciter, is it? I think of it more as a bicycle pump for audio. To be used gently. The plugin lost some of its lustre when people discovered, a few years ago, that they could get close — some even claim: spot on — with any old waveshaper, but I still like it. I also like to use it with its curve parameter set to negative values. Then you get much less of the inflating effect, if any at all, but increased harmonics instead.
Not a plugin I use on every mix, but it’s nice to know it’s there.

__

soundbylaura

Post by soundbylaura »

Inflator is on sale for 19 euros with code: PROMO-A7K3J until July 16.
Be an upstander.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Piet De Ridder wrote: Jul 12, 2024 5:37 am Inflator is not really an exciter, is it? I think of it more as a bicycle pump for audio. To be used gently. The plugin lost some of its lustre when people discovered, a few years ago, that they could get close — some even claim: spot on — with any old waveshaper, but I still like it. I also like to use it with its curve parameter set to negative values. Then you get much less of the inflating effect, if any at all, but increased harmonics instead.

__
I find the BB Tubes from Waves gives better control of the harmonics / excitement effect. Works very well to just dial in amounts of what you need.

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

Piet De Ridder wrote: Jul 12, 2024 5:37 am Inflator is not really an exciter, is it? I think of it more as a bicycle pump for audio. To be used gently. The plugin lost some of its lustre when people discovered, a few years ago, that they could get close — some even claim: spot on — with any old waveshaper, but I still like it. I also like to use it with its curve parameter set to negative values. Then you get much less of the inflating effect, if any at all, but increased harmonics instead.

__
I only found Inflator gets me good results AFTER I bounce the mix and then re-bounce it with Inflator applied. Not sure why, probably my bad.
Charlie Clouser: " I have no interest in, and no need to create, "realistic orchestral mockups". That way lies madness."

www.jayasher.com