Hollywood Strings 2

Instruments, effects, DAWs -- any hardware or software we use to make music. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Ashermusic

Re: Hollywood Strings 2

Post by Ashermusic »

Linos wrote: May 01, 2024 4:55 am It's pretty obvious that the samples in the Audio Tech Talk video are not used well. So I don't attach any importance to the fact that the examples sound bad.

This, however, is another matter:

Oh my God, how bright those strings sound. What an unbalanced sound. It's a trend that for epic music everything has to be bright to cut through the mix. The VSL Synchron libraries suffer from this. It may be modern now, but I just don't like it. Nor do I think it will age well. That's why I don't own a single Synchron library. Great concept, unbalanced sound signature in my opinion. Also the 8dio Centery series. And now Hollywood Strings 2 has gone completely over the top. It sounds like steel to me. Totally unappealing in my opinion.
If you muck around with the mic mixes it can sound pretty different from what you hear in those examples.
Charlie Clouser: " I have no interest in, and no need to create, "realistic orchestral mockups". That way lies madness."

www.jayasher.com

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Ashermusic wrote: May 01, 2024 3:38 pmIf you muck around with the mic mixes it can sound pretty different from what you hear in those examples.
Is there a good HS2 demo anywhere that a) has a warmer sound and b) has the notes joining up in phrases?

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

On sale this week for $199. Any positive experiences out there?

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

Guy Rowland wrote: Sep 11, 2024 4:27 pm On sale this week for $199. Any positive experiences out there?
If I say what I think Nick Phoenix will hear about it and come here berate as a traitor looking for revenge against EW :)
Charlie Clouser: " I have no interest in, and no need to create, "realistic orchestral mockups". That way lies madness."

www.jayasher.com

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Ashermusic wrote: Sep 12, 2024 5:41 pm
Guy Rowland wrote: Sep 11, 2024 4:27 pm On sale this week for $199. Any positive experiences out there?
If I say what I think Nick Phoenix will hear about it and come here berate as a traitor looking for revenge against EW :)
Oh I forgot he did that! Fair enough, and of course your comment tells me a lot.

I need a REALLY good reason to buy any string library these days, no matter how cheap. I'm closest on Sample Modelling because it is genuinely different to anything I have. The sheer complexity of control is what holds me back there - I wish they'd do a clever clever update where it does much of the controlling of nuances under the hood depending on playing style (as an option).