Straight Ahead / Tenor Colossus

Instruments, effects, DAWs -- any hardware or software we use to make music. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

Straight Ahead / Tenor Colossus

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Straight Ahead Tenor Colossus

KEY FEATURES:
- Beautiful vintage Mark VI tenor saxophone performed by a seasoned jazz player.
- The New Standard method of sampling. Over 2,000 samples per note for a level of detail and realism never before possible. Goes beyond simple round-robins and legato transitions to a truly unprecedented number of note variations.
- 2 microphone positions (close and room), with custom bleed convolution reverb.
- “Smart Delay” feature which analyzes dozens of details about the played phrase and intelligently selects the appropriate samples. Works in tandem with our New Standard sampling method, to eliminate the need for auditioning countless keyswitches just to create a realistic melodic phrase.
- “Reconstructed Vibrato” the recreates the timbral embouchure characteristics of a real player’s vibrato.
All the standard articulations required of a saxophone player in this style (legato, staccatos, falls, trills, scoops, glisses, etc).

_

Lawrence

Re: Soon: Straight Ahead / Tenor Colossus

Post by Lawrence »

Are you beta testing this offering, Piet?

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

No, Larry.

_

kpc

Post by kpc »

This sounds really nice to me. I don’t have the Trumpet, but may get both of these.
- kayle

axb312

Re: Straight Ahead / Tenor Colossus

Post by axb312 »

Thoughts on this lib guys?

FriFlo

Post by FriFlo »

I bought the trumpet, because I found it really refreshing to see that developers would do something new instead of the same old next string library that offers nothing interesting, really …

It has a phenomenal realism playing scales and if you use it for the right kind of music, it sounds remarkably realistic. But the approach taken has two disadvantages:
You obviously cannot play it in real-time - well, you can, but then it doesn’t sound nearly as great!
And you cannot play „hot“ stuff with it. No screaming, not even strong crescendos: it is important to understand how it works. There are no crossfade layers to control expression or anything like that. Your performance being played in real-time is being analyzed and reconstructed from bits and pieces they recorded. That means, they would have to do that all again for another type of playing …

I like their trumpet, but I have decided to wait and see how they solve that problem of achieving more flexibility without getting ridiculously expensive with multiple volumes - each for a different flavor of the same instrument. I guess the tenor sax is quite similar, as the technique used is the same.

Scoredog

Post by Scoredog »

I am going to concur with FriFlo.